The advent of mobile technology has spark radical changes in the way we communicate, interact, work, and even market products, tools and services. Mobile is the new, smarter way to conduct, even manage businesses as well as marketing your business to reach out to potential clients and customers. The mobile device; whether smartphone, phablet, tablet and other similar devices, has indeed opened up a new and exciting way in marketing anything and everything under the sun.
In fact, in a research made available by We Are Social, in the second quarter (Q2) of 2017, 93% of the world’s internet users or more than 3.5 billion accesses, surf and navigate the internet using a mobile device.
The staggering number of mobile internet users has rapidly spread contributing to an unabatingly growing number of internet consumers whose main device of access to the wonders of the internet and its flexibility and convenience is via a smartphone.
In the similar report, web traffic from mobile devices in Q2 of 2017 far exceeds those from the traditional sources of online search traffics. This only shows a glimpse of the future wherein mobile devices plays a crucial role of those devices not only for online traffic generation but also for marketing purposes.
Mobile Is The New Gateway To Future Marketing
Of the 3.811 billion global internet users, a massive 3.537 billion uses and accesses the internet via mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, and other mobile smart devices), and to think that the majority of those unique individuals accessing the internet now do so using smartphone first. Given this latest analysis of internet use and access, it can only be surmised that the mobile devices’ global share to internet traffic will likely continue to increase as time progresses.
The huge increase to mobile users accessing the internet has produced inestimable opportunities for digital marketing and for those marketers using the internet as an inexhaustible medium to promote products, tools and services, to say the least.
Today, more and more companies across different niches and industries should start capitalizing on harnessing the potentials mobile marketing has to offer as a tool to advertising. It offers a new way to target mobile users with more personalised content such as promotions, special sale or discounts and corporate updates using localized and target-specific adverts for shops located nearby, events, activities and updates. Mobile marketing gives a boost to proximity marketing campaigns wherein a potential customer can be located and invited or informed and asks to take specific actions.
The massive expansion of mobile device usage has given digital marketers and advertisers a different and smart way to retain and gain new customers as well as reaching out to new, untapped potential customers. Marketers and advertisers can now personalize messages according to different segments of consumers; whether by gender, age, locality or geographic location. By using mobile marketing as a digital marketing tool, marketers are empowered to deliver and display an assorted variety of contents. Mobile technology developments have enabled marketers to deliver the right message to the right consumers at the right time.
Have marketers started to intelligently harness the vast potentials of mobile marketing?
By now, statistics wise, we have hopefully established the invaluable need in having mobile presence and using this new tool in marketing as an adjunct of digital marketing. People across different segments and across geographic locations are easily influenced by mobile-targeted adverts. Mobile devices are said to be the new appendage of global citizens, like a new arm or leg to not just communicate but interact and do business with.
Yes, marketers and advertisers are now grasping the immediacy of integrating mobile marketing on their marketing initiatives this is because of the many hints already given by search engines as manifested in the mobile-friendly algorithm released by Google, which signifies the increasing need to integrated changes in marketing initiatives to encompass the vast number of people globally accessing and doing online search through their mobile devices.
This integration necessary means answering the needs of those billions of mobile users for timely, relevant and immediate information thus providing superb user experience and to answer for these needs, digital marketers are now starting to invest in optimising content for mobile devices. This, given the fact that an increasing number of online consumers do indeed pick up their smartphones to do search, book for hotel or flight, do financial transactions and shop.
Businesses owners, entrepreneurs and advertisers now realize the need to adapt in their marketing efforts relevant developments in technology. Mobile marketing presently characterizes as one of the latest practices in doing digital marketing which, to emphasize, means providing online customers with more personalised information, products, goods and services and even ideas.
“With today’s highly digital and globally connected citizens, the significance of adapting new online marketing methods so that these are mobile-friendly cannot be exaggerated.”
—Ong Pang Seng
CEO, RapidCloud Singapore
Key Takes In Integrating Mobile Marketing To Your Portfolio Of Digital Marketing
Below are some of the important things that marketers and advertisers should consider when integrating mobile marketing as part of the overall digital marketing strategy they wish to have:
- People are spending more time on their mobile devices. How many times have you looked at your phone today? And how many minutes have you spent just browsing around or checking on your social media accounts via your mobile device? A recent study revealed that in 2016 alone, an average smartphone user consumes 6 hours a day on their mobile device! Marketers and online advertisers can capitalize on this by being where their target consumers are and that’s on their mobile device. This means bringing your fresh, timely and relevant content to their devices and finding out new and fresh ideas to engage online consumers such as using graphics, videos and interactive means, having mobile-friendly website and using social media as consumptions on this types of contents will continue to increase.
- Mobile e-commerce and mobile-targeted marketing are perfect partners! Many of today’s online consumers basically use their mobile devices to nearly do anything such as shopping, banking, booking, reserving and interacting with other people or business. Today’s e-commerce platforms; whether big or small or anything in between can greatly benefit from this global mobile phenomenon. The key take on this is making sure that your e-commerce website is mobile-friendly and mobile compatible to facilitate ease of navigating your site’s pages, easy to locate contact numbers which can be click easily to call you directly, maps that can be navigated and zoomed, and interactive.
With your website mobile-friendly and compatible, integrate mobile targeted adverts using interactive mediums such as videos and other means and your good to go!
- Multiple Task, Single Device. The recent upsurge in the usage of mobile devices has enabled consumers to have the opportunity to compare and look for more shop-worthy stores at a touch of the fingertips. Consumers can now check businesses, book a flight, find a restaurant, shop and pay using a mobile device. This mobile-induced miracle has made consumers more in control and more knowledgeable in doing multiple task using a single device—their mobile—hence businesses should start rethinking their marketing methods to integrate this mobile phenomenon.
A simple and easy way would be to make sure that their website is easy to navigate and mobile-friendly to entice those mobile-savvy consumers to give your business a shoot.
Remember, search engines like Google have already rolled-out the mobile-friendly algorithm that necessarily gives a much higher preference to those sites that are mobile-friendly. This algorithmic changes (Google, in particular has done a lot to give much preferences to enhancing user experience) necessitates the need for businesses to embrace the mobile transformation and integrate the same to the overall design of their websites.
- Emails Are Accessed and Read More on a Mobile Device. Surprise! Even emails are affected by the exponential increase in the usage of mobile devices. According to a research by Marketing Charts, 55% of emails have been accessed and read on mobile devices. By analysing more than 27 billion of emails that has been accessed and read between May 2016 to April 2017, it has been found out that the opening and reading of those emails where done on a mobile device. The same research also reveals that emails opened on mobile devices are more likely to be fully read than those opened on other devices. In Singapore alone, the research showed that 73% of emails are read by Singaporeans using a mobile device.
This also translates to making any email marketing initiatives to be mobile-compatible. Given the magnitude of emails being accessed and opened via a mobile device, it is of great import to make sure that before doing any email marketing; the same should be compatible to be read using a mobile device. Of late we’ve told you the secret ingredients to be successful digitally and that includes email marketing. This article pretty much reinforces the idea!
- Mobile marketing means wider market reach! Remember our statistics at the beginning of this article? Billions of people globally have mobile devices and is now overtaking other mediums in accessing the internet. And if the 3.5 billion mobile users in Q2 of 2017 aren’t enough reasons, we honestly don’t know what else would!
In hindsight, digital marketing is a continuously developing and growing online marketing processes and part of the evolution of digital marketing is mobile marketing which, in today’s tech-savvy society, plays a crucial part in any marketing strategy.
As an essential take on this, we wish to emphasize that the continuous increase in mobile consumption would likely continue in the foreseeable future and that businesses owners and online advertisers alike must respond to this by ensuring that they have a solid mobile marketing strategy to communicate with today’s digital and mobile consumers.